Each week Team Tematica consumes a voracious amount of content as we look to stay on top of the latest data and mine it for tailwind and headwind signals for our 10 investment themes.
Aging of the Population
The global demographic shift towards a more senior population
- Baby Boomers Are Leaving Behind a Trail of Luxury Ranches (Wall Street Journal)
- More than half of Baby Boomers say they want to stay in their houses after they retire (Housing Wire)
Growing demand for items that claim to be better for you and the planet:
- Electric-Vehicle Shift Will Keep a Lid on Oil Prices (WSJ)
- Hershey buys One Brands for $397M, expanding bar options (Food Dive)
- What Sandwich War? KFC Sells Out of Plant-Based ‘Chicken’ in Atlanta ( New York Times)
The Buildout and upgrading of our Networks, Data Storage Facilities and Equipment
- Wi-Fi 6 will be here soon. What is it? (Wired)
- Analyst Firms Are Raising Their Global 5G Forecasts (Light Reading)
Business models designed to transform an entire industry and leap-frog over incumbents.
- Big brands turn to big data to rekindle growth (FT)
- Lithium hit by oversupply and electric vehicle subsidy cuts (FT)
- Walmart’s robot army has arrived (Fast Company)
The increasingly digital landscape that now underpins the entire consumer experience.
The products and services people will consume no matter the economic environment.
- Pernod Ricard SA extended its bet on whiskey with a deal to acquire the New York-based maker of Jefferson’s bourbon and plans to open its first distillery in China (Wall St. Journal)
Those things that bridge the gap between want and ability at every socioeconomic level.
- This monthly subscription gives you unlimited access to luxurious resorts around the world ( Fox Business )
Consumers trading down when and where possible or looking to stretch the disposable dollars they do have.
Areas around the world where rising disposable incomes are driving demand for a host of products and services.
- India’s FreshToHome raises $20M to grow its fish, meat, vegetable and milk e-commerce platform (TechCrunch)
- Costco shuts early on first day in China due to overcrowding (FT)
Reflecting the evolving needs across individual, cyber, corporate and homeland security.
- Energy, Health departments at risk for cyberattacks, OMB says (Roll Call)
- Doorbell-camera firm Ring has partnered with 400 police forces, extending surveillance concerns (The Washington Post)
- The spy in your wallet: Credit cards have a privacy problem (The Washington Post)
- This is the browser you’ll want if you care about online privacy (CNET)