Each week Team Tematica consumes a voracious amount of content as we look to stay on top of the latest data and mine it for tailwind and headwind signals for our 10 investment themes.
Aging of the Population
The global demographic shift towards a more senior population
- Analysts think the aging population is hurting the economy. Here’s why they’re wrong (MarketWatch)
- America’s aging population is leading to a doctor shortage crisis (CNBC)
Growing demand for items that claim to be better for you and the planet:
- Porsche Debuts Taycan Electric Sports Car (Payments)
- Atkins owner Simply Good Foods Co. (SMPL) is buying healthy foods maker Quest Nutrition for about $1 billion (Mergers&Acquisitions)
- It doesn’t matter if it’s sugary or diet: New study links all soda to an early death (The Washington Post)
- How the plastic bottle went from miracle container to hated garbage (National Geographic)
- Lululemon beats across the board (Yahoo Finance)
The Buildout and upgrading of our Networks, Data Storage Facilities and Equipment
- Most Qualcomm processors will include a 5G modem next year (Engadget)
- AT&T, Verizon Kick Off NFL Season Of Showcasing 5G (mediapost.com)
- Trump makes no mention of 5G in annual funding memo (lightreading.com)
Business models designed to transform an entire industry and leap-frog over incumbents.
- 5G-ready VR telepresence app Avatour launches in beta (VentureBeat)
- Tommy Hilfiger, Zendaya Unveil Immersive Online VR Fashion Show (The Hollywood Reporter)
- Amazon testing biometric hand scanning technology for Whole Foods rollout (Mobile Payments Today)
The increasingly digital landscape that now underpins the entire consumer experience.
- Music Revenue Surges on Streaming Subscription Growth (The Wall Street Journal)
- Nordstrom Will Let You Return Your Macy’s Online Order
- British TV producers enjoy Netflix bonanza (Financial Times)
The products and services people will consume no matter the economic environment.
- TheScore launches mobile sports betting platform in NJ (Mobile Payments Today)
- Spiked seltzer shortage grips basic America (Grub Street)
- Instant coffee gets the high-end treatment (Bloomberg)
Those things that bridge the gap between want and ability at every socioeconomic level.
- Consumption upgrade powering demand for luxury goods (China Daily)
- Alibaba dials up luxury push (The Daily Star)
Consumers trading down when and where possible or looking to stretch the disposable dollars they do have.
- Student Debt is Transforming the American Family (The New Yorker)
- TheRealReal’s Annual Report Shows Shoppers Are Abandoning Fast Fashion for Secondhand Luxury Goods (Robb Report)
Areas around the world where rising disposable incomes are driving demand for a host of products and services.
- Why Africa’s Industrialization Won’t Look Like China’s (Harvard Business Review)
Reflecting the evolving needs across individual, cyber, corporate and homeland security.
- Ammunition maker Vista Outdoor’s stock falls after Walmart halts some rifle ammo sales, to exit handguns (MarketWatch)
- FTC Fines Google $170 Million for Violating Children’s Privacy (Adweek)
- Amazon’s Ring doorbell cameras attract congressional concern over police partnerships (USA Today)
- Delta Air Lines will use facial recognition cameras at LAX boarding gates (Los Angeles Times)
What Else We Are Loving
Other reads, experiences, products, services and the like that we enjoyed so much this past week we just had to share