Each week Team Tematica consumes a voracious amount of content as we look to stay on top of the latest data and mine it for tailwind and headwind signals for our 10 investment themes.
Aging of the Population
The global demographic shift towards a more senior population
- Forget Florida – with no income tax, good healthcare, and national parks, retirees are flocking to Wyoming (Business Insider)
- Many Adults Are Helping Their Parents Financially Despite Strain (The New York Times)
Growing demand for items that claim to be better for you and the planet:
- The Philadelphia Suburbs Where Many Don’t Drink the Water (The Wall Street Journal)
- Britain to ban new petrol and hybrid cars from 2035 (MarketScreener)
- Beyond Meat brings plant-based fried chicken to KFC (Los Angeles Times)
The Buildout and upgrading of our Networks, Data Storage Facilities, and Equipment
- U.S. Pushing Effort to Develop 5G Alternative to Huawei (The Wall Street Journal)
- 5G will change how we watch sports in person (Venture Beat)
Business models designed to transform an entire industry and leap-frog over incumbents.
- Where Computing Is Headed—Beyond Quantum (The Wall Street Journal)
- As retail evolves, 5G and edge computing keep you in the express line (Venture Beat)
The increasingly digital landscape that now underpins the entire consumer experience.
- Instagram Said to Generate More Than a Quarter of Facebook Sales (Bloomberg)
- More retailers file for bankruptcy twice as they struggle with rising debt, pressure from Amazon (CNBC)
- European Mobile App Consumer Spending Grew 19% in 2019 to More Than $11 Billion (Sensor Tower)
The products and services people will consume no matter the economic environment.
- Is Your City’s Pension Fund a Little Short? Marijuana Might Help (The Wall Street Journal)
- Hard coffee, hard kombucha — experts say no beverage is safe from alcohol (The Washington Post)
- Hong Kong confirms first coronavirus death as Macau closes casinos (Financial Times)
Those things that bridge the gap between want and ability at every socioeconomic level.
- Macy’s To Open New Store Format With Beauty Focus (PYMNTS)
- Luxury groups ponder ways to get rid of their unsold inventory (The Economist)
- The Luxury Watch Business Is in Trouble. Top Makers Have Some Solutions (Business of Fashion)
Consumers trading down when and where possible or looking to stretch the disposable dollars they do have.
- The rent is too damn high — even for middle-income Americans (MarketWatch)
- It Is Not Healthy When Middle-Class Families Drown In Debt In A Growing Economy (Forbes)
Reflecting the evolving needs across individual, cyber, corporate and homeland security.
- eSkimming Malware Attacks On The Rise (PYMNTS)
- Ransomware attacks are now targeting industrial control systems (ZDNet)
- Cyber-Attack on US Water Company Causes Network Outage (infosecurity)
- 39% of UK firms concerned by cyber attacks, but most are underinsured (Information Age)