Each week Team Tematica consumes a voracious amount of content as we look to stay on top of the latest data and mine it for tailwind and headwind signals for our 10 investment themes.
Aging of the Population
The global demographic shift towards a more senior population
- Your iPhone will soon be able to tell 911 about your medical conditions and allergies (TechCrunch)
- What Are The Implications Of An Aging Population On The Mobility Industry? (Forbes)
Growing demand for items that claim to be better for you and the planet:
- US Meat Shortage Boosts Fortunes Of Plant-Based Meat Firms (PYMNTS)
- ALDI Sends Letter to Vendors Requiring Closed Loop Packaging by 2025 (Green Matters)
- Two ways P&G is working toward its packaging goals (GreenBiz)
Securing individuals and organizations against cyber threats and privacy violations:
- Dating app MobiFriends silent on security breach impacting 3.6 million users (ZDNet)
- Celebrity Data Stolen in Ransomware Attack on NYC Law Firm (infosecurity)
- Duration of phishing attacks grows, use of banking trojans wanes (HelpNetSecurity)
- Cognizant expects to lose between $50m and $70m following ransomware attack (ZDNet)
The Buildout and upgrading of our Networks, Data Storage Facilities, and Equipment
- Washington in talks with chipmakers about building U.S. factories (Reuters)
- Amid rapid growth, Zoom strengthens infrastructure backbone with Oracle Cloud (Channel Asia)
Business models designed to transform an entire industry and leap-frog over incumbents.
- Volvo plans cars with lidar and “eyes off” highway driving by 2022 (ars Technica)
- New Breed of Pickups Mixes Horsepower and Battery Power (The New York Times)
- Singapore releases the robot hounds to enforce social distancing in parks (The Register)
- Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs Scraps Its Ambitious Toronto Project (Wired)
The increasingly digital landscape that now underpins the entire consumer experience.
- ‘watchOS 7’ could help Apple Watch detect panic attacks (AppleInsider)
- Smartphone shipments dropped 13% globally, and COVID-19 is to blame (TechCrunch)
The products and services people will consume no matter the economic environment.
- No, GM Won’t Stop Making the 2020 Corvette—But It Could Be One of the Rarest Ever Made (Robb Report)
- IndyCar follows NASCAR’s lead, plans June 6 race in Texas without fans (ars Technica)
Those things that bridge the gap between want and ability at every socioeconomic level.
- Half of fashion suppliers will face financial issues in next six months (Luxury Daily)
- Global Personal Luxury Goods Market Set To Contract Between 20 – 35 Percent In 2020 (Bain & Company)
Consumers trading down when and where possible or looking to stretch the disposable dollars they do have.
- Why Rural America’s Digital Divide Persists (The New York Times)
- Factories Close for Good as Coronavirus Cuts Demand (The Wall Street Journal)
- The Resurgence Of The Great American Road Trip (PYMNTS)
- Credit-card use dives in March by most since 1989 (MarketWatch)
- The coronavirus economy is exposing how easy it is to fall from the middle class into poverty (The Washington Post)