Each week Team Tematica consumes a voracious amount of content as we look to stay on top of the latest data and mine it for tailwind and headwind signals for our 10 investment themes.
Aging of the Population
The global demographic shift towards a more senior population
Growing demand for items that claim to be better for you and the planet:
- Companies struggle to digest ‘alphabet soup’ of ESG arbiters (FT)
- Lithium will fuel the clean energy boom (Los Angeles Times)
The Buildout and upgrading of our Networks, Data Storage Facilities, and Equipment
- EU Warns of 5G Risks Amid Scrutiny of Huawei (The Wall Street Journal)
- Ericsson Eyes $700B 5G Growth Opportunity for Service Providers (SDXCentral)
- Apple sets very aggressive timeline: Build a 5G modem for iPhones by 2022 (Digital Trends)
Business models designed to transform an entire industry and leap-frog over incumbents.
- Uber to acquire grocery delivery startup Cornershop (TechCrunch)
- Cryptocurrency’s bad day continues as the SEC blocks Telegram’s $1.7 billion planned token sale (TechCrunch)
The increasingly digital landscape that now underpins the entire consumer experience.
- CVS rolls out telehealth service in six new states (Chain Store Age)
- Apple’s smart glasses will arrive in the first half of 2020 (CNBC)
- Comcast Is Moving Some TV Channels to More Expensive Packages As a Hidden Price Hike (Cord Cutters News)
The products and services people will consume no matter the economic environment.
- There’s Not Just One Vape Crisis — There’s Three (Rolling Stone)
- Hershey’s is releasing its first new bar in 2 years — and it’s not chocolate (MSN)
- Clean label in confectionery, does anyone really care? (Confectionary News)
Those things that bridge the gap between want and ability at every socioeconomic level.
- Luxury hotel group Rocco Forte readies for big expansion (FT)
- Luxury hotels buck trend, register upward room rates (The Economic Times)
Consumers trading down when and where possible or looking to stretch the disposable dollars they do have.
- What does a ‘middle-class’ budget really look like in today’s economy? (MarketWatch)
- What Is Middle Class in California? (The New York Times)
- What politicians get wrong about the middle class (Fast Company)
Areas around the world where rising disposable incomes are driving demand for a host of products and services.
- How India’s new consumers can contribute to a $6 trillion opportunity (World Economic Forum)
- How to invest where new middle-class consumers will splash the cash (MoneyWeek)
Reflecting the evolving needs across individual, cyber, corporate and homeland security.
- Amid security concerns, the European Union puts 5G — and Huawei — under the microscope (TechCrunch)
What Else We Are Loving
Other reads, experiences, products, services and the like that we enjoyed so much this past week we just had to share