Even though new smartphone subscriptions in the U.S. market are slowing dramatically as demand matures, becoming increasingly reliant on replacement demand, tailwinds associated with our New Global Middle-Class investing theme explain why Apple CEO Tim Cook is so keen on breaking into India in a meaningful way. A new report from Cisco Systems forecasts smartphone growth in India to grow by 425 million users over the 2017-2022 period – roughly 180% of the U.S. smartphone subscriber base in the US this year. This growth will not only drive tailwinds for our Digital Lifestyle theme but also place demands on existing infrastructure that should drive a spending tailwind for our Digital Infrastructure one as well.
The number of smartphone users is expected to double to 829 million by 2022 from 404.1 million in 2017, projects a new Cisco report.This proliferation of smart devices will propel India’s per capita data consumption to nearly 14 gigabytes (GB) by 2022 from 2.4 GB in 2017, according to Cisco’s latest “Visual Networking Index (VNI)” report.“By 2022, the smartphone data consumption will increase by five time in India — which proves the dominance of smartphones as the communications hub for social media, video consumption, communications, and business applications, as well as traditional voice,” Sanjay Kaul, President, Asia-Pacific and Japan, Service Provider Business, Cisco, said in a statement on Monday.
Key predictions for 2022 (India)
· In India, there will be 840 million total Internet users (60% of the population) by 2022, up from 357 million (27% of the population) in 2017.
· In India, there will be 2.2 billion networked devices by 2022, up from 1.6 billion in 2017.
· In India, Smartphones will account for 38% (829.0 million) of all networked devices by 2022, compared to 26% (404.1 million) in 2017, (15.5% CAGR).
· In India, Smartphones will average 17.5 GB per month, up from 3.5 GB in 2017.
· India’s IP traffic grew 53% in 2017 and reached 3.3 Exabytes per month in 2017, up from 2.1 Exabytes per month in 2016.
· In India, IP traffic reached 2.4 Gigabytes per capita in 2017, up from 1.6 Gigabytes per capita in 2016. Per capita Consumption will reach 13.9 GB by 2022.
· In India, Internet video traffic grew 73% in 2017 and reach 13.5 Exabytes per month by 2022, up from 1.5 Exabytes per month in 2017. This account for 77% of all Internet traffic by 2022, up from 58% in 2017..