Each week Team Tematica consumes a voracious amount of content as we look to stay on top of the latest data and mine it for tailwind and headwind signals for our 10 investment themes.
Aging of the Population
The global demographic shift towards a more senior population
- The End of Retirement (The Wall Street Journal)
- This age could be the new benchmark for retirement (CNBC)
Growing demand for items that claim to be better for you and the planet:
- Is Plant-Based Milk the New Margarine? (Food & Wine)
- Banana Milk: The Latest Alt Milk We Can’t Get Enough Of (Clean Eating)
The Buildout and upgrading of our Networks, Data Storage Facilities, and Equipment
- China faces setback in 5G ambitions as coronavirus leads to delays in base station installations (South China Morning Post)
- Samsung gets aggressive as rivals sit in 5G purgatory (Telecoms)
- Think 5G is exciting? Just wait for 6G (CNN Business)
- The Internet of Things and Its Impacts on Consumer Engagement (Social Media Today)
Business models designed to transform an entire industry and leap-frog over incumbents.
- Why Companies Struggle With Digital Disruption (The Wall Street Journal)
- Lyft acquires rental-car partner Flexdrive for $20 million (MarketWatch)
- Hyundai partners with subscription-EV company Canoo to co-develop platform (Green Car Reports)
The increasingly digital landscape that now underpins the entire consumer experience.
- eCommerce Drives Logistics Job Boom (PYMNTS)
- Tapping Into Mobile Dining Innovation With QSR Apps (PYMNTS)
- Macy’s to Close 125 Department Stores, Exit Weakest Malls (The Wall Street Journal)
- How to Prepare For China’s E-commerce Shopping Festivals (Jing Daily)
The products and services people will consume no matter the economic environment.
- Farmers Raced to Plant Hemp to Ride the CBD Boom. But Demand Never Materialized. (Barron’s)
- Sugary Drink Consumption Plunges in Chile After New Food Law (The New York Times)
Those things that bridge the gap between want and ability at every socioeconomic level.
- Luxury Home Buyers Are Revamping Amsterdam’s Historic Housing Stock (The Wall Street Journal)
- Cyber-Luxury: A.I. is Disrupting Luxury (Jing Daily)
Consumers trading down when and where possible or looking to stretch the disposable dollars they do have.
- The ‘Blue-Collar Boom’ Is Missing in Swing States (Barron’s)
- The Great Affordability Crisis Breaking America (The Atlantic)
- Disneyland raises ticket prices, breaking the $200-a-day mark (Los Angeles Times)
Areas around the world where rising disposable incomes are driving demand for a host of products and services.
- H&M Group plans to bring Cos to India (The Economic Times)
- Canada Goose slashes outlook as China revenue sinks to “negligible levels” (Financial (Post)
Reflecting the evolving needs across individual, cyber, corporate and homeland security.
- Apple joins Fido Alliance, wants to replace passwords with trusted devices (9to5Mac)
- DOJ Indicts Four Chinese Army Spies For Equifax Hack (PYMNTS)
- Why Digital Driver’s Licenses Are the Future Of ID Verification (PYMNTS)
- Avast reviews options for Jumpshot on data privacy concerns (Reuters)
What Else We Are Loving
Other reads, experiences, products, services and the like that we enjoyed so much this past week we just had to share
- We along with other investors continue to assess the impact of the coronavirus outbreak on the global economy as well as corporate earnings. As we have witnessed time and again, a pain point tends to give rise to potential solutions, and we are watching that unfold in response to the virus that has resulted in more than 45,000 cases worldwide and more than 1,100 deaths. China has launched an app that allows people to check whether they have been at risk of catching the virus. People identified as being at risk are advised to stay at home and inform local health authorities.